Hardwood flooring is, without a doubt, the king of flooring materials for so many reasons. From a design perspective, it is versatile enough to achieve just about any look you could imagine. From the rustic charm of reclaimed or hand-scraped wood, to the chic, modern elegance of black wood flooring, hardwood has something for everyone.
However, there are some important considerations to take into account with hardwood flooring, especially in Portland. The main concern here in Portland, obviously, would have to be the way it interacts with moisture. Which is to say, the climate here can be really tough on your wood flooring, if you don't take the appropriate steps to protect it.
With this in mind, Marion's Carpet Warehouse had our team of flooring experts throw together this quick guide to what you should definitely do to protect your floors and, more importantly, what you definitely should not do. Here's what they came up with.
• Be sure to protect your floors with an appropriate moisture barrier for an added layer of protection.
• Place waterproof rugs or mats at all doorways leading to the outdoors. You might also want to consider doing the same in other areas of the home where moisture is likely to be an issue, like the kitchen or bathroom.
• Use a professional hardwood flooring installation service to install your new floors. Hardwood is a notoriously tricky material to install, and the cost of making a mistake is too steep to gamble on.
• Consider a "No Shoes" policy in your home. There is more than enough humidity in the air to have to worry about with your hardwood floors here in Portland. There is no reason to compound the problem by bringing the rain inside!
• Install flooring in areas that are prone to excessive moisture. This mostly means you probably shouldn't install floors made of wood in the basement, laundry room, or bathroom. With proper precautions, the kitchen should be fine, as it is located "above grade".
• Use steel wool or other abrasive tools to clean the floor. This extends to any cleaning product that might rely on abrasion to get the job done. They will definitely wreck your flooring!
• Let any liquid spills sit for an extended period of time. Always be sure to clean up any standing moisture from spills or tracked in rain or snow, as quickly as possible to avoid warping, cupping, and separation of your floor's planks.
Are You Looking for Quality Hardwood Flooring Installation Services?
If you live in the Portland area and are thinking about having new floors installed, Marion's Carpet Warehouse is here to help! We can assist you with every step of the flooring process, from choosing the material and style from our sumptuously appointed showroom, to installing them in your home.
Simply call, email, or stop by our showroom location in Portland to arrange for your free consultation and estimate, and to find out why Marion's Carpet Warehouse has made the Portland's Best list for ten years and counting!